Sunday 17 April 2011

Happy birthday to me!

Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday dear...Well, you get the idea. Another year older and still none the wiser. My boys did a very good job at distracting me from thinking about the extra candle on the cake (or in my case, almond croissant), helped hugely by the beautiful sunshine we had today. It started well with a splendid breakfast with a huge pot of Yorkshire tea and some lovely presents, followed rather too quickly by a delicious lunch at Marine Ices in Chalk Farm. The little boy did us the courtesy of falling asleep so we could enjoy a large glass of wine and far too much pizza in peace.

The rest of the day would have been a suitable birthday treat for a five-year-old: an impromptu trip to the zoo and ice cream. Still, I couldn't have had more fun if I'd tried. Watching the little one blow kisses to the llamas and wave furiously at the giraffes filled my heart with joy. I'm sure the days of long boozy birthdays in the pub will roll around again one day, but for now this is my idea of a happy birthday.

So here's what I've learnt this year:
  • If your baby is under six months and you're not breastfeeding, don't tell anyone. They will only judge.
  • If your baby is over six months and you are breastfeeding, don't tell anyone. They will only judge.
  • Whatever it is, it's only a phase. It will pass.
  • All babies will sleep through the night. Eventually.
  • "They" have a lot to say about how you should bring up your baby and live your life (I'm looking at you, Gina Ford). "They" are more often than not entirely wrong.
  • The best beauty treatment in the world is sleep, and lots of it.
  • Your baby will still love you whether you choose a nanny, a nursery, a childminder or you brave all the childcare yourself.
  • There is nothing in the world as wonderful as your baby's dance of utter joy when you enter the room.
And here's what I'm still working on:
  • How to keep the in-laws happy (also known as 'how to please the unpleaseable').
  • How to strike the right balance between work and family and not feel constantly guilty. This one is going to run and run...
Speaking of running, I ended the day with a quick run to the Heath and back. There were a lot of joggers out tonight, no doubt having the same thoughts as me having seen the coverage of the London Marathon this morning: "Yeah I could've done it but, you know, chose not to. I'll enter the ballot next year when I've got more time to train". I haven't run a marathon for six years now, but maybe it's time to bite the bullet and sign up. At least that would be one way to try to hold back the years.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!

    I went for a run as well, also lots of runners out......either the fall out from the marathon or feeling inspired!!!!

    Love S.A.M xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new follower- hello! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy late Birthday, just found you via BMB.

    I think your learning for this year has been very apt!

    have followed, Mich x

    ReplyDelete