Monday 28 March 2011

Let them eat cake!

I spoke to a friend today who is already worrying about what to do for her baby's first birthday party in July. I know how she feels - this was the subject of lengthy debate among my friends with babies a similar age to mine.

We all agreed that it would be pointless to go to any great efforts as we would all be time- and cash-poor by the time December rolled around, and the little ones would be nonplussed by the whole thing. Or so I thought.

While the rest of the country was decking the halls with boughs of holly, my friends were variously booking church halls and official photographers, sending out personalised invitations and dragging home bags groaning with parent-approved baby snacks (no proper cake in sight). Meanwhile, I had emailed a few child-free friends to ask them to join us for some afternoon cocktails to mark the occasion. In haste I ordered a stack of cupcakes from Lola's in Primrose Hill (amazing - I recommend!) so at least we would have something to stick a candle in, and bought a birthday banner and badge.

As it turns out, December was the coldest on record and the snow fell thick and relentless. Of our guest list of 30, six brave souls ventured across London to raise a glass to our happy, giggly one-year-old. It was a day of firsts: first cupcake, first sugar rush, first post-party slump. It wasn't the traditional celebration but we enjoyed it and the photos are great. Maybe next time we'll try to be a bit more organised, though, and put in a plea for good weather.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy! Thought I would pop over and say hi and welcome. I live not far from Pramstead. Slightly south. Where my pram clearly sticks out. Our hood isn't quite posh enough for Phil & Ted. xFF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola - I used to be a pramstead resident (well Swiss Cottage but near enough ;-) we are now living in London Suburbia with another 2 bambinos!!!

    I have a mountain buggy BTW

    Love S.A.M

    ReplyDelete