Saturday 26 March 2011

Baby talk

The boy is at a lovely stage at the moment, chattering away incessantly. He's only 15 months so is far from being a great conversationalist but if you tune your ear to his frequency you can definitely make out some English words (and no doubt several foreign ones, too). Predictably there's a bit of oneupmanship among the mums on the speaking front; many is the time I've had a list of a little one's preferred one-syllable words parroted to me by the proud mother while the little wordsmith herself has sat there mute.

I try not to engage in this apparently good natured competition - they babies will get there when they get there. Meanwhile I'm quietly enjoying listening to my boy's world opening up. Here are some of his favourite words, recorded for my own purposes and not to show how clever he is! If there's one thing my brief foray into motherhood has shown me so far, it's that time moves fast and they're changing all the time. That's why I want to get these things down before I forget.

* Bye bye (complete with frenzied waving)
* Hiya
* Mama (thank goodness - this took rather longer than I'd like, whereas Dada was a firm favourite from the start!)
* Duck
* Cat
* Miaow
* Tea (I'm working on 'milk, no sugar')
* Flower (can be applied to sequins and anything sparkling as well as the traditional bloom)
* Night night (accompanied by a look of horrific realisation that it's time for the lights to go off)
* Daddy (this is used liberally, often shouted at volume to waiters, the postman, the doctor or any male of the species, causing the odd raised eyebrow. The shame)

No comments:

Post a Comment